I would like to bring you a trick over Gtalk or Google Talk, a most wanted chat client for Gmail account holders. Have you ever thought of pinging your friends from two IMs, but of same account? Have you ever thought of pinging your friends from different accounts, but from your one and only computer? This post will be helpful to do all these tricks. I make this post most illustrative by adding the snap-shots taken from my system. Continue your reading for learning the trick.
How to open two GTalk Windows from same Computer
Assuming that GTalk (Google Talk) is installed on your computer and you are working with it logging to your gmail account. If you try to open one more GTalk window, it won't open with the default settings. But if you slightly change the settings of the way how GTalk starts, you can open multiple GTalk windows. I suggest you two ways of doing this trick:
- Modifying the existing Google Talk shortcut
- Creating new Google Talk shortcut
Modifying the existing Google Talk Shortcut
Once the Google Talk is installed on your computer, you will see a GTalk shortcut on your desktop. If you can't see then leave this and proceed to my next suggestion. Now let's see how to we modify the existing shortcut. Here are the steps:
- Locate Google Talk shortcut on your desktop (or somewhere on your system) and right click on the icon, open 'Properties'. It will open a dialog box.
- In the opened dialog box, select tab 'Shortcut' and find a text box named Target where you can see the text "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe". Now clear whatever there after the this text and add /nomutex at the end.
- Press 'OK' to close the dialog box.
That's it! You can now open multiple Google Talk windows.
Creating new Google Talk Shortcut
This is the normal way to create a shortcut on Windows machines. Refer the following steps:
- Right click on your desktop, then select New > Shortcut from the pop-up menu.
- In the Create Shortcut dialog box, click 'Browse' button.
- Locate the googletalk.exe file from the installation folder (default is C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe)
- Add /nomutex at the end of the location text.
- Click 'Next'
- Set a name to new shortcut and click 'Finish' to create the shortcut.
Using this shortcut, you can now open multiple instances of Google Talk. You can login to multiple Google accounts.
About This Post
You can find this post useful for the following searches also:
- Running multiple instances of Google Talk / GTalk
- Opening many Google Talk windows
- Login to multiple Google Talk accounts from same computer
If you have queries on this trick, write them on the comments section.