I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop Dell Studio 1555. I searched on Google for setting a Legal Notice Logon Message on Windows 7. I would like to share the experience. Please read it carefully, it is applicable for Windows XP and Vista also.
What is a Legal Notice?
Legal Notice on a computer system is the logon disclaimer message for the authorized use of the system and its resources. It's just a security notice to the users who are going to use the system. Though it is not mandatory for personal and home computers, it is used wide for computers in network, especially in an organization.
I explain you the process. It is done by modifying the Windows Registry Keys. Windows Registry is the heart of the Windows OS which keeps the system and application softwares running by its associated registry values for various properties.
Legal Notice can be added to the system registry following the below steps:
- Open Windows Registry - Run > type regedit > Enter
- Navigate to the path - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
- Select 'legalnoticecaption' and set your text. For example, "Security Notice by User" (without quotes)
- Select 'legalnoticetext' and set your message. (disclaimer message for authorized use)
- Close the Registry by clicking (X) on the top right of the opened window.
- Restart the system. Now the welcome screen will be the legal notice you created.
Enjoy the trick!